Sunday, September 21, 2014

Visit #8 - August 23rd, 2014

Watching someone take their first bite of a Thuringer is a beautiful thing...


I have been waiting for that moment for years.  YEARS.  John finally goes with me to Hot Doug's.

You see, John's got a wicked pissah dairy allergy that makes him a nuisance to take restaurants to.  Every time we go somewhere, it's "So there's no dairy in that, right?" and "Can you please use clean gloves and knives in preparation of my food so I don't die?" and it's been like this ever since I've known John (jeez, 7 years? 8 years?), and probably like this John's whole life.  Ever since I started going to Doug's a few years ago, I've tried to get John to go.  However, given his allergy, he was always (rightfully) skeptical about waiting in a two-hour line and then not being able to eat anything.  Now, months ago, I asked Doug about the dairy thing and I told John what Doug told me - "Buns are fine, hot dogs are fine, and any sausage that doesn't have cheese in it is totally fine, but there is butter in the caramelized onions."  So I told John this and apparently all he heard was "Hot dogs are fine," and then got all pissy at me when he emailed Doug directly and Doug told him what I had told him months ago.

So yeah, I get in line, Lee shows up and John's a chooch and saunters up to us at 10:10 or something because he "slept in" or whatever.  OH! And other buds Esme and Zoe show up.  So BAM!  Look at that.  People standing in a line.  I think that might've also been the day I finished Pink Noises (end of an era!)  I'm having trouble remembering more details as this was almost a month ago...



Also, man, that linguiça is a damn JAM, son.  

Oh, but so the five of us are sitting and starting to eat and out of the corner of my eye I see John take a bite of his thuringer and immediately, his eyes light up and all he can say is, "Damn." 

Here's the tally:
Me - thuringer,
linguiça, fries, corn dog.
John - italian, thuringer, duck fat fries.
Lee - Don't remember, duck fat fries.
Zoe and Esme - BLT sausage, 3 or 4 corn dogs, Chicago dog, one or two others, chili-cheese fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment