Friday, October 3, 2014

Visit #11 - October 3rd, 2014



Well, today's the day. 

Ever since that Tuesday in May when Doug made his announcement, this is the day that we've all be anticipating, or dreading - the day where Doug would say "Yeah, right where the lemonade is" for the last time - the day that Hot Doug's closed its doors for good. 

Naturally, we had a whole plan of attack to be there overnight, but given the weather conditions and our lack of preparations (people had brought tents - those people were smart!), we held off on making the trek until the weather died down a bit.  We got to Doug's a little after 7:00am, only to start hearing people saying, "Yeah, he closed the line at 6:30."  Sure enough, we walked to the back and saw the sign. 

Of course, I could use this space to talk about I never got to say "Thanks" to the main guy and all of the other employees, but screw that!  I joked often about this being a "sad" blog, but it wasn't.  It was a celebration!  Every damn meal that I ate at Doug's was amazing, and each trip reaffirmed that Doug was going out on top.  Every line was absolutely worth it and I don't regret it one bit. 


To the staff of Hot Doug's - you folks really made that restaurant run as smoothly as it did.  You kicked ass in every possible regard.  I hope that your tip jar is overflowing by the end of the day today because you guys and gals deserve it. 

Doug - you did everything right.  Kudos to you.  Thanks for never having salad on the menu.

In lieu of a usual sausage picture, here's one I dug up today from mine and Beth's first visit to Doug's a few years ago.  Garret was also there. 



I had the thuringer, fries, and the Atomic Bomb.  I remember Beth had some other one (buffalo, maybe?) that I accidentally ate half of because I thought it was the Atomic Bomb.  I'm still apologizing for doing that to this day...

No comments:

Post a Comment